Friday, September 11, 2009

Howling

Why does the wind blow
That it always wants to go
Where I have just been?

Wind is the story on this third day of Last Chance. Distilled to a single word according to Jim Kraychy, our man in Anton right now, is "howling." Charlie Henderson is headed back with the Atwood drop bags and is in Idalia where the main bunch of 9 riders is going through.

All reports from eastern Colorado are the same: 25 mph out of the north to north-northeast.

And the route is predominately due west.

The forecast from SailFlow.com:


Strong winds to persist through noon,










then start to subside and shift through 3:00 pm,







and finally become tailwinds by 6:00 pm.








But don't tell any of the riders ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Tim:

    Just wanted to send a big "Thanks" to you for posting these updates. I REALLY wanted to ride LCR again (I participated in 2008) but couldn't work out the logistics. Despite this, I know several folks out there on the road (including at least one 1200K "rookie") and have followed with great interest their progress and your notes. Thanks to you and the organizers for keeping us up-to-date!

    Cheers,
    Greg Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite welcome.

    I too rode Last Chance last year and wish I was out on the road right now. Instead, this is my outlet.

    See you in '10!

    ~Foon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the exact quote or who said it:

    "You never have a tailwind. You either have a headwind or you're having a good day".

    Seems appropriate today.

    ReplyDelete