Friday, September 17, 2010

First Rider Finishes



Tom Knoblauch arrived at the finish in Louisville at 7:11 this morning after riding all night from Byers. Tom finished in 52:11. As he was leaving Byers at midnight, Susan told him he should take his coat because it would be cold. Tom said he wouldn't need it, but realized later he did! He improvised with newspaper for insulation covered with plastic bags and taped in place!

1 comment:

  1. Why am I not surprised?

    My last words to Tom as he left the Byers control around midnight were, "Don't you think it's chilly? Shouldn't you pack a jacket?"

    Tom replied as the Donner Party must have when they attempted to cross the Rockies in the winter of 1846, "I think I'll be alright."

    Apparently Tom he did not succumb to the freezing temperatures. No doubt he was thinking of Russell Fairles and Peter Morrissey behind him - and imagining they were hungry enough to eat frozen meat.

    Susan Plonsky
    Chef-de-Controle, Byers

    ReplyDelete